What did the British criminals of a century ago look likePictolic
Perhaps someone thinks that British women of the time of King Edward were modest and reserved, but these police photos prove the opposite. Here are 12 women who were arrested in 1903 and 1904. These pictures remind us that nostalgia about the past is not always appropriate, and that it used to be just as restless and cruel as it is now.
1. Mabel Smith. She was arrested for misappropriation of property in September 1903.
2. Susan Joyce. She was arrested for theft in August 1903.
3. Susanna Adamson is especially well dressed for a police photo.
4. Charlotte Adamson. Arrested for theft. She is no older than 19 years old.
5. Mary Scott was arrested in December 1903.
6. Annie Anderson is proof of how fashion has changed over the years.
7. Sarah Petterson. She was arrested for theft in 1904.
8. Catherine O'Brien. An old shawl indicates that she was not very rich.
9. Alice Kosh is another resident of North Shields, a traditional fishing town that turned into a shipbuilding center during the Industrial Revolution.
10. Pictures like this remind us that not everything was smooth in the Edwardian era.
11. The town of North Shields is located 12 km east of Newcastle.
12. However, this city was famous not only for its shipbuilding industry, but also for its poverty, which explains such police photographs.