Oh, this mayonnaise: facts and myths about the most popular saucePictolic
Categories: Food and Drinks
Today, may 28th, celebrating the birthday of mayonnaise — one of the most popular in our country sauces.
On this day in 1756 in the French city of Mahon first mixed mayonnaise. And it was so... In the course of the Seven years war (1756-1763), when the British occupied the French soil, the troops of the Duke of Richelieu was a problem with the food. Of all the products were only vegetable oil, eggs and lemons. The cook decided to mix these ingredients, the result of which turned out to be extremely delicious sauce, which was called "mayonnaise on", that is "moonskin" as a French spelling of the name mahón, where it all happened, "Mahon".
The birthday of popular sauce we invite you to explore the facts and myths about him.
1. Proponents of a healthy lifestyle keep away from it, and those who like to eat add it to almost any dish. Mayonnaise is a cold sauce calories, making use of vegetable oil, egg yolks, vinegar (lemon juice), sugar, salt, mustard and seasonings.
2. It is widely believed that mayonnaise is harmful to the body. This is wrong! 60% of it is made from vegetable oil. To improve digestion, you should consume a tablespoon of butter per day. You can drink this spoon? And the mayonnaise will provide you with the necessary dose of oil.
3. The more yolk contains mayonnaise, so it tastes better. However, the shelf life of this sauce significantly reduced, as it rapidly looses its flavor.
4. The mayonnaise has a very positive effect: it promotes digestion, which is extremely important for health and wellbeing. However, this only applies to homemade mayonnaise. Store-bought sauces can still be harmful, as in the process of cooking uses flavors, thickeners, stabilizers, synthetic preservatives and flavor enhancers. Therefore it is better to cook homemade sauce for your kitchen.
5. Today, the white sauce is widespread and loved throughout the world. For example, in Belgium it is added to almost every dish, from vegetable salads to meat delicacies. In Australia it is customary to serve a salad of apples, bell pepper and celery, which must be flavored mayonnaise. Italians love chopped tomatoes, mixed with mayonnaise. They also prepare it with meat, vegetable salads and spaghetti. The French are seasoned cold sauce snails — this dish is considered a special delicacy. But the Dutch, in turn, dip French fries in mayonnaise only.
6. Original mayonnaise, cooked on the classic recipe contains only egg yolks and vegetable oil. Therefore, this mayonnaise is not suitable for baking products, as when heated it will disintegrate into its components.
7. Many buyers, choosing a mayonnaise, first of all pay attention to the presence in the powder of egg yolk. This ingredient may affect your health, because it contains a lot of cholesterol. However, now there are many types of mayonnaise, in which the powder of egg yolk either completely absent or replaced by a healthier analogue.
8. Mayonnaise, prepared industrially, are often very different from home in terms of composition and taste. Here the main objectives were to reduce cost, increase profitability and shelf life. So they often used the cheapest ingredients, added preservatives and apply different marketing techniques, like adding olive oil without mentioning its quantity and quality.
9. The love story of the Soviet people to mayonnaise is rooted in 30 years, when comrade Mikoyan went to the States for exchange of experience and together with canned peas brought out lines for industrial production of mayonnaise factory is an extremely cheap and nutritious product.
10. Mayonnaise — just one of many in the world of sauces, designed to fill some salads and to accompany cold dishes. But, its proliferation and availability, coupled with not always a high level of culinary knowledge has led to the fact that the mayonnaise (mayanez, manasik, Mace, Mayo, etc.) became a kind of meme on the Internet and the symbol of careless home cooking, when no matter the combination of products, their quality, freshness and cooking technique: any imperfections are filled with mayonnaise and laid out in a network for exchange of experience.
11. Along with the habit of filled with mayonnaise (or what so called, according to the inscription on the packaging) all in a row, there is another extreme — the rejection of mayonnaise at all in any form. Such people experience rejection already at the mere mention of the sauce. This, of course, the inflection, because there are dishes where the mayonnaise is quite appropriate.
12. In addition to ingestion, mayonnaise can be used topically... In mayonnaise for a surprisingly good effect on the skin combination of substances: fats soften the skin, the salt solution contributes to its hydration, lecithin of egg yolk is a great activator and "homological", vinegar slightly loosens the skin and promotes the penetration of the drug, according to the skin acidic than disinfects it; a small quantity contained in mayonnaise mustard causes enhanced blood flow to the skin and by local acceleration of metabolism.
All congratulations with the birthday of mayonnaise and offer you to listen to a fun song in honor of him!