The evolution of underwear: from the 1900s to the present dayBy Vika https://pictolic.com/en/article/the-evolution-of-underwear-from-the-1900s-to-the-present-day
Since the 1900s, such an intimate part of the women's wardrobe as underwear has undergone quite a few revolutionary changes. How did it happen that tight corsets evolved into thin bikinis that barely cover the naked body? Today we will try to remember the past decades and understand how women's underwear has changed through the years.
1. the 1990s
Underwear in those days consisted of far from two, or even three parts. The girls put on stockings, knickers, corsets, and an underskirt, as well as a blouse and a second skirt on top. All this was worn under outerwear. The process of dressing a girl could take up to an hour. Almost always, assistants and governesses came to her aid. tightening the corset on your own is beyond the bounds of possibility.
2. the 1910s
The first decade was marked by the release of more open underwear. The neckline became deeper, pantaloons began to be sewn shorter. At first, girls identified such underwear exclusively with courtesans, but now they themselves are not averse to putting on a shorter skirt ...
3. the 1920s
This turning point in world history was highlighted by such a large-scale event as the First World War. This global conflict has affected all areas of human life, including clothing and fashion. At that time, the demand for more comfortable and practical clothes, as well as underwear, was growing at a fast pace. Dresses began to appear under which it was not necessary to wear a corset. It has been replaced by lighter bras and slips.
4. the 1930s
We can see how the trend towards simplicity and convenience is rapidly developing, just like the frankness of underwear ...
5. Also, starting from this period, stockings entered and settled tightly in the women's wardrobe. Their appearance, by the way, was provoked by the appearance of even shorter skirts.
6. the 1940s
For this time, such a set of underwear was typical: panties, a bra, and a petticoat.
7. the 1950s
This decade is famous for the fact that it was at this time that cone-shaped bras appeared and gained popularity. Also during these years, Christian Dior introduced his new style, which was called the New Look. He was distinguished by classic silhouettes that are relevant to this day - a thin waist, lush chest, and rounded hips.
8. Also in the middle of the century there was a boom in black underwear, and there was also a new interpretation of the corset, which favorably emphasized the female waist.
9. the 1960s
The style icon of this decade was the young Brigitte Bardot, who became the trendsetter of that time. The period of its popularity accounted for the appearance of softer forms of a bra.
10. In the same period, prototypes of modern push-up bras also appeared. Small built-in tabs are inflated, slightly lifting the chest and giving it a more attractive shape.
Minimalism is becoming a symbol of the new revolution in women's underwear. At this time, Mary Quant creates her first collection of miniskirts.
12. The underwear of the 70s is characterized by maximum simplicity. It does not hinder movement, but at the same time favorably emphasizes the figure. Also at this time, thinness began to enter into mandatory fashionable requirements.
This decade is the time of the renaissance of luxury lingerie. All the most popular fashion houses tried to please the exquisite tastes of beauties as much as possible, diluting them with more and more pretentious details and novelties. So, the classic black lingerie was replaced by more feminine lingerie made of silk and lace.
Underwear began to leave less and less space for imagination and looked even franker...
15. The boundaries that existed between clothing and underwear were erased to almost 0. At this time, women stopped hiding bras and corsets and more and more often appeared in photos in underwear freely, without judgment.
16. Currently, underwear has ceased to be a taboo subject, hidden from prying eyes. Designers in their imagination are absolutely not limited by anything and create sets that sometimes take your breath away. The range of lingerie has become much wider: from lace tops for everyday to exclusive bustiers. Sometimes girls are not even able to voice all the types of panties and bras that exist in our time, there are so many of them. Fashion houses to this day improve existing designs, bringing underwear to perfection ...