Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

Categories: Design and Architecture | Ecology

Snøhetta has announced plans to build a Svart hotel in Norway. It will be located beyond the Arctic Circle and, as expected, in 60 years of operation, it will be able to produce more energy than will be required for its construction, operation and demolition.

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

Source: Design Boom

An unusual Swart hotel will appear near the Svartisen glacier in northern Norway. This word meaning "black" or "blue" is used when describing the deep color of ice compared to bright white snow.

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

The hotel building has the shape of a ring, which opens a panoramic view of the mountains and fjords. It fits perfectly into the landscape, without disturbing the natural beauty and even complementing it. Architects from the Snøhetta bureau took into account the experience of building traditional Norwegian fishing houses on stilts fiskehjell and rorbu. Thanks to this, the hotel has minimal impact on the soil and the environment, and tourists get the opportunity to go boating directly under the building.

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

The project is also designed to prove that energy-intensive buildings can be erected in the harshest climate. The state-of-the-art materials from which Swart will be created make it possible to reduce annual energy consumption by 85% compared to conventional hotels. The remaining 15% will be generated by the hotel itself.

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

While working on the project, the specialists studied the conditions for a year, including calculating the amount of reflection of sunlight. Thanks to this, the design of solar panels capable of generating electricity most efficiently was developed. The architects emphasize that the long summer white nights allow you to accumulate even more energy than it happens in the south. In addition, geothermal pumps will be engaged in energy production.

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

The hotel has become part of the Powerhouse program, which several Norwegian companies are working on. To meet this standard, a building must compensate for all the energy used during its construction, operation and waste disposal over 60 years.

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

The Norwegian architectural company Snøhetta, working on the project of the Svart hotel, is also developing the project of Europe's first underwater restaurant.

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

The opening of an unusual catering establishment, which will also be located on the territory of Norway, is scheduled for 2019.

Scandinavian super project: solar-powered hotel in Arctic climate

Keywords: Glacier | Norway | Hotel | Arctic circle | Scandinavia

Recent articles

8 habits you need to do every day to look more beautiful
8 habits you need to do every day to look more beautiful

Habits, that is small actions that we perform every day, largely determine how we look. As Charles S. Noble wrote: “First we ...

China of the 80s is similar to the Soviet Union as a twin brother
China of the 80s is similar to the Soviet Union as a twin brother

For many who were born in Hong Kong in the 1960s, mainland China of the 70s and 80s was both close and very far away. It seemed ...

Sydney's Criminal underground of the 1920s and 1940s: rare photos from the police archive
Sydney's Criminal underground of the 1920s and 1940s: rare ...

The "creative tandem" of a mother and daughter who sold cocaine and a gang of thieves who disguised themselves as women and stole ...

Related articles

Scandinavian fairy tale: picturesque landscapes of Norway in the lens of Hans Gunnar Aslaksen
Scandinavian fairy tale: picturesque landscapes of Norway in ...

Hans Gunnar Aslaksen is a 49-year-old landscape photographer from the small town of Lavrik on the southern coast of Norway. A happy ...

Banksy opened a hotel with the "worst view in the world" — the wall between Israel and Palestine
Banksy opened a hotel with the "worst view in the world" — ...

British anonymous artist Banksy has opened the hotel Walled Off Hotel ("Walled Hotel") in the Palestinian city of Bethlehem on the ...

A crate can be comfortable: a hotel made of cargo containers has opened in Georgia
A crate can be comfortable: a hotel made of cargo containers ...

The first boutique hotel has recently opened in the Georgian ski resort of Verkhny Gudauri. The Quadrum Hotel consists entirely of ...