Five enjoyable hobbies that will increase your level of happinessBy Vika https://pictolic.com/en/article/five-enjoyable-hobbies-that-will-increase-your-level-of-happiness
A recent study by the Society for Personality and Social Psychology revealed what we have always believed to be true: having a hobby equates to great happiness. We've compiled a list of our favorite hobbies that will help you de-stress, be in the moment, and achieve good health. And if a hobby requires investments, then they do not have to be large.
1. Learning to play a musical instrument is a sure way to get your daily dose of happiness, as music has a powerful effect on our mood and thought processes. In order to reduce stress and anxiety, the complex coordination required to transform notes into a beautiful melody has been proven to naturally overcome our daily challenges.
2. Knitting has been enjoying a retro renaissance in the past few years - classes can now be found almost anywhere, and many workplaces are integrating knitting sessions into the lunch hour of the workday due to their positive effect on employee well-being. It's surprisingly easy to get started once you've mastered a few simple beginning tricks, and it's the rhythmic, almost musical nature of the snapping spokes that make this hobby so mesmerizingly joyful.
3. Maybe it's because of the infamous potter's wheel scene from the movie Ghost, but there's something about creating a piece of beauty from a lump of clay that appeals to our sense of sensuous craftsmanship. While most of us, unlike Demi Moore, probably don't have a potter's wheel in our apartment, the good news is that the lessons are plentiful and not overly expensive.
4. Perhaps one of the most underrated yet soul-expanding hobbies, stargazing will leave you with a deep sense of wonder. You don't need special equipment as on a clear night most of the constellations should be visible to the naked eye. While many people find great pleasure in mapping and studying the stars, others prefer to look at them and get lost for a while.
5. The connection between art and happiness has been established: studies have shown that even just looking at a work of art causes a state of euphoria, very similar to falling in love. So it goes without saying that creating your own masterpiece can evoke a similar response. As with knitting and pottery, it is also the simple combination of connecting an abstract idea with a physical process that evokes such a strong sense of well-being.