The most shocking photos from the Vegetarian Festival
Categories: Holidays and FestivalsBy Pictolic https://pictolic.com/article/the-most-shocking-photos-from-the-vegetarian-festival.html
Today in Thailand begins the annual festival of vegetarians. The festival taking place on the island of Phuket attracts not only thousands of local residents, but also a large number of foreign tourists, since these days you can see extremely impressive rituals in addition to various processions.
For those of our readers who can boast of strong nerves, we have prepared a series of the most striking photographs of past festivals.
(Total 15 photos)
1. The main participants of the festival are the Chinese living in Thailand. Historical legend says that the Vegetarian Festival was founded by a Chinese opera company in the 19th century after being cured of malaria, for which people were treated with a strict vegetable diet.
2. During the festival, numerous residents of the island decorate their bodies with extreme piercings.
4. But first, "self-torturers" bring themselves to a trance state so as not to feel unbearable pain. (Copyright © 2012 Igor Bilic)
5. What is surprising, according to eyewitnesses of what is happening, there is almost no blood during punctures.
6. ... and there are no scars on the cheeks after numerous punctures.
7. Among the participants there are real fanatics who come up with more and more sophisticated ways to torture themselves every year.
8. To perform the most cruel rituals, knives, sabers, umbrellas and even electric drills are used!
9. As well as other attributes that are familiar to us, rather, only from horror films.
10. Participants of the festival believe that piercing the body, walking on fire and other ways of injuring themselves will provide them with the mercy of the gods and protection from all problems and diseases.
11. However, ambulances are always on duty near the festive events, apparently, miracles sometimes do not happen.
12. After the “piercing” procedure, a procession begins, which is accompanied by explosions of many homemade mini-bombs and firecrackers.
14. Despite the fact that the festival is one of the most colorful spectacles in the world, the Thai authorities recommend that “weak-hearted” tourists refrain from visiting it.
15. However, not only masochistic tortures are accepted at the holiday. Devout Buddhists at this time observe a strict vegetarian fast, wear white clothes and follow the rules that allow them to purify the body and mind. Quarrels and fights are forbidden among Buddhists throughout life, and during the festival it is also forbidden to drink alcohol, smoke and, of course, eat meat.