The most expensive artists in the worldBy Vika https://pictolic.com/en/article/the-most-expensive-artists-in-the-world
Every year, the Artprice portal publishes a list of the most expensive artists in the world, whose works are sold at auctions for mind-boggling sums. As a rule, this rating includes the names of famous painters and sculptors, whose prices can make you dizzy. The top ten Artprcie rating includes such masters as Claude Monet, Qi Baishi, Alberto Giacometti, and Jeff Koons. In 2014, the works of the ten most expensive artists and sculptors were sold at auctions for a whopping $ 2.7 billion. The most expensive work, the sculpture "Chariot" by Giacometti, went under the hammer for $ 90 million. Want to know who is in the top five most expensive artists in the world? Read our post.
1. The fifth place among the most expensive artists in the world is occupied by Mark Rothko - an American artist, a representative of abstract expressionism, as well as the creator of "color field painting". Last year, his works, were sold at auctions for a total of $ 249.2 million, and the most expensive of them went under the hammer for $ 59 million. (Photo: Getty Images).
2. The most expensive painting by Mark Rothko is “Orange, Red, Yellow” (pictured), which was sold at Christie’s auction in May 2012 for $ 77.5 million. (Photo: Jeremy Yoder / flickr.com).
3. The fourth place in the ranking was taken by Gerhard Richter - this is the only living artist who was included in the top five most expensive artists in the world. He surprises not so much with a high position in the rating, but with his work, which is generally difficult to classify. Therefore, it is not surprising that his works are very popular and are sold at auctions for ever higher amounts. (Photo: Getty Images).
4. In 2014, a total of 258 works by Gerhard Richter were sold, valued at $ 254.3 million. His most expensive work was 1989's Abstraktes Bild (pictured), which was sold for $ 28.7 million in February at Christie's auction house.
5. The third place among the most expensive artists in the world was taken by Francis Bacon - an Irish self-taught artist. Last year, 122 paintings were sold for $ 270 million. (Photo: Getty Images).
6. The most expensive painting by Francis Bacon was the triptych "Three sketches for a portrait of Lucian Freud" (1969), which went under the hammer in 2013 for 142.4 million dollars. It is currently the most expensive piece of art in the history of the auction market. (Photo: Garrett Bithell / flickr.com).
7. In second place in the ranking of the most expensive artists in the world is Pablo Picasso, whose works were sold last year for $ 375 million. (Photo: Getty Images).
8. The most expensive work of Pablo Picasso and the third in the list of the most expensive paintings in the world is Nude, Green Leaves and Bust (pictured) 1932, sold in 2010 for 106.5 million dollars. (Photo: James R fauxtoes / flickr.com).
9. The most expensive artist in the world at the end of 2014 was Andy Warhol. His paintings were sold for $ 569.5 million. In comparison, the entire French art auction market was not able to achieve this level of sales last year. (Photo: Getty Images).
10. In 2014, Andy Warhol's most expensive painting was Triple Elvis (1963), which sold at auction for $ 81.9 million. (Photo: lar3 / flickr.com).