The couple has been living a nomadic lifestyle for 12 yearsBy Vika https://pictolic.com/en/article/the-couple-has-been-living-a-nomadic-lifestyle-for-12-years
Many dreams, but few dare to live such a life. Mariam and Peter live one day and how they spend it depends only on themselves. This is exactly the case when the journey turned out to be a lifetime ...
1. 12 years ago, this couple radically changed their lifestyle. They collected all their savings, completely changed the environment, sold their houses, and went to live in the forests in a nomadic way of life.
2. The couple's age difference is 30 years. Mariam Lanswood from the Netherlands is 34 years old and Peter from New Zealand is 64 years old. They met while traveling in India when Mariam was only 22 years old.
3. As a teenager, the girl very successfully began her sports career and even won the Youth Olympic Games in pole vaulting, but still she was not afraid to leave everything for the sake of life in freedom.
4. Peter, before going on a trip, lectured at the university and received a doctorate in environmental sciences. “The most important decision of my life I made when I left home, took only one bag with me and went to the airport,” says Peter.
5. The couple, of course, does not have a permanent place of residence. All that binds them to the place is a pair of backpacks with everything you need, which you can throw behind your back at any time and go to the next stopping point.
6. Mariam and Peter, like any normal family, have learned to distribute household responsibilities among themselves. Peter had to learn how to cook, and Mariam plays the role of a hunter and getter.
7. Mariam hunts animals mainly with a bow and arrow, which radically turns her past life upside down. The thing is that before going to the forests, Mariam was a vegetarian and therefore killing an animal is a big trauma for her.
8. In total, it took Mariam about 2 years to learn how to do what she does today without difficulty. “I used to be a vegetarian. When I first killed an animal, it was a shock to me,” says Miriam.
9. Sometimes a couple still has to buy things that simply cannot be found in the wild. The couple's favorite mundane treat is ice cream.
10. In general, Mariam and Peter spend no more than 3,000 pounds a year on living. In just a year, the couple managed to save up about 40,000 pounds, so they do not feel any financial constraint and both say that if they suddenly lack money, they can easily find a job for themselves.
11. Of such benefits of civilization as hygiene products and water, Mariam also, in fact, has nothing. Instead of shampoo, the girl uses her own urine. She applies it to her hair, leaves it for 20 minutes, and then rinses it off with water from a stream or herbal decoctions. When asked how the girl endures such uncomfortable conditions, she replies that it would be much worse for her to go to work every day and hang around in traffic jams.
12. Freedom for this couple prevails in everything and even in their personal relationships. “We have an open relationship. We don't own each other. I feel completely free and do what I want, ”explains Miriam.
13. Sometimes people mistake Peter for Mariam's father, but this does not bother the couple at all. Peter explains that when they met, they were both adults, so who can tell whether this relationship is right or not?
14. In addition, the couple even thought about children, but Mariam chose not to return to a sedentary lifestyle and therefore does not want to have children yet. At the same time, Peter still admits that one day he will have to stop. A man is absolutely not worried about returning to a normal lifestyle. believes that he can easily adapt and integrate into a modern lifestyle.