Soaring over the gorge of Ronda: an extraordinary city on the rocksPictolic
This city, soaring over the abyss, is rightly believed to be one of the most beautiful in Spain. Tourists come here from all over the world. Admire everything here — from extraordinary, breathtaking scenery from almost any point of the city, to some even frightening concentration of attractions just on 481 square kilometers of this city, "white houses".
1. The picturesque town of Ronda is málaga province. It literally "floats" above the gorge is located at a height of 723 metres above sea level and hangs over a steep canyon, El Tajo, which divides the city into two parts.
2. Ronda is one of the most ancient cities of Spain, as evidenced by numerous archaeological finds from the Paleolithic era, the time of the Phoenicians, Carthage and the Greek settlements. In Roman times it was called Arunda and as an important trade center of the province.
3. In the 8th century, Ronda was declared the capital of an independent Moorish Emirate that existed prior to 1485. Old modern part of Ronda was one of the last strongholds of the Moors in the territory of Andalusia: every time an insurmountable obstacle to Christians were up the gorge of the same name. Rhonda obeyed only in 1485.
4. The town declared a national monument of Spain. The gorge divides it into two parts: the old town of the 13th century a new town of the 18th century. Both parts are connected by the so-called New bridge, built in the 18th century, symbol of the city.
5. It is noteworthy that the interior of the bridge were used as prison cells. There is in Ronda and the Old bridge PuenteViejo located a little lower down the gorge.
6. Ronda is considered the cradle of Spanish bullfight. Here was built the first, the biggest, most magnificent arena for bullfighting. The arena opened with great fanfare in 1785 in the presence of royalty and nobles, the opening was attended Pedro Romero and Pepe Hillo leading bullfighters of the time. So far in this arena are.
7. All trade Rhonda concentrated on the Carrera Espinel (calle Carrera Espinel) where look many tourists in search of Souvenirs. But the main thing you take away is a vivid experience and a desire to come back here again.
8. Currently, picturesque Ronda, one of the largest "white towns" of Andalusia, has developed into a popular tourist center.
9. Ernest Hemingway spent many months in this amazing city. He mentioned it in his writings, praising the incredible beauty than the largely praised the city and made it a popular tourist destination.
Keywords: City rock