An Italian farmer couldn't believe his eyes when one of his dogs gave birth to a green-haired puppy.
1. Italian farmer Christian Mallocchi couldn't believe his eyes when Spelacchia, one of his eight dogs, gave birth to a green-haired puppy.
2. The tiny dog, which was immediately named Pistachio, was part of a litter of five dogs born on October 9th, all with white fur, the same color as their mother. Except him.
3. It is extremely rare that dogs are born with green hair. This is thought to happen when pale-colored puppies come into contact in the womb with a green pigment called biliverdin.
4. However, the peculiar color of the pistachio does not last forever. The bright green color of his coat dims every day, and he will dull as he gets older.
5. While his brothers and sisters will be given to new homes, Mallokchi will keep Pistachio on his farm and train him to care for sheep with his mother Spelacchia.
6. Mallokchi said that in these difficult times of the coronavirus pandemic, green is a symbol of hope and good fortune.