People with their own nightmares from around the worldPictolic
Categories: Photo project
Photographer Rock Morin (Roc Morin) undertook a difficult task — to create a World Atlas of dreams. Over the past 15 months Maureen has already visited 18 countries, photographing people and collecting their stories about what they dream. Curiously, most of them describe their nightmares.
"Somewhere in the world it's always night time, and at any time one third of the world's population sleeps and dreams, — says the photographer. I go up to strangers and ask what they dreamed, but they most often tell about bad dreams. In different parts of the world again and again repeated the same nightmare apocalyptic desert, the faceless pursuers, broken teeth, meal cannibals and, of course, dead..."
1. "I went riding on a sea monster. It was pink." New Orleans, USA.
2. "I'm 103 years old, so I'm not sleeping. But when I do it, I see dead people — dead bodies, familiar and unfamiliar". Radzhuri, India.
3. "Too many people, so the government poisoned the air. The dead were everywhere." Tokyo, Japan.
4. "When you're trying to get off heroin, dreams are particularly vivid. In one, I was floating somewhere in the Universe between stars and planets. I saw Land in the distance. For some reason I had to move all my organs in some other place to save the world. Was the countdown before the Earth will explode if I don't do it in time. When I woke up, I turned to the side, and all my internal organs were on the bed next to me. I started to panic, thinking that the only way to bring the organs into place is a prick. Which I did, and immediately felt much better." Tijuana, Mexico.
5. "One of the shells hit the car in which the family went. Father and mother was killed and daughter was badly maimed and disfigured. I see her when I close my eyes, the girl without a face". Horlivka, Ukraine / DNR.
6. "Working as a volunteer in a charity hospital in the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, I realized that, unfortunately, can recognize death. I feel it coming. I don't think it's some kind of gift, rather a curse. So, in my dream I go to the mirror and see the shadow of death on your own face. I know how this looks — there's something in his eyes, a kind of void. I'm dying from what was seen thousands of dead people." New Orleans, USA.
7. "I dreamed that my husband carries a gas cylinder. Suddenly he exploded. I began frantically running back and forth trying to collect all hands and crying." Deiter, India.
8. "In elementary school I walked with friends from his neighborhood. Suddenly drove the motorbike, it was a man with a knife. He slaughtered all my friends, I'm the only one left alive. Me he didn't even touch". Tokyo, Japan.
9. "In Afghanistan, one of my friends was killed by his best friend. It was a random shot. Many months later, when I returned to USA, I had a dream that there's someone at the door. It was my friend, satisfied and happy, with a small suitcase. He was released from heaven for 48 hours. We spent all weekend — went to bars, talked and walked with my dog Roxy in the Park. There we met the very best friend. He hugged him and said, "You'll always be my brother. I don't want in your heart lived with the guilt of what happened." Then I saw my friend clinging to his neck, which was gushing blood. And then I saw him in a coffin, in dress uniform, deader than a doornail. I was sweating heavily and tears. I woke up from that Roxie was licking my face." Columbus, GA, USA.
10. "In the dream I was always running, holding the hand of his friend. After us the man is always the same, but his face I never see. We run up to a fork in the road and run in different directions, thinking that he can only go after one of us. At this point, a second stranger without a face". Tokyo, Japan.
11. "I killed someone, and prepare it. This is my classmate. I'm not that hated, but I didn't like. I cut and fry in a skillet. Going to eat it, probably to get rid of the evidence". Ahmedabad, India.
12. "In some huge warehouse the party took place. I was going to commit a terrorist act. I built under the warehouse pneumatic piles. They dumped the stock, and it turned over upside down, along with all the people who were inside. At some point I thought: "Why am I even doing this?.. This makes no sense", but still continued. When I woke up, the feeling was so real that for a moment I thought I was going to jail". Detroit, USA.
13. "I was dragged from its sepulchre. The next day I searched the Internet for the most effective ways to commit suicide. I blame myself for his death. Maybe if I wasn't half-asleep, I'd tell him that the rain on the street and have to be careful. The first thing the doctor said: he crashed into a truck. He broke his neck. OK. At least he was not torn to pieces. In my dreams I see the face of my husband, he always dressed in uniform. He somehow came back. I feel so relieved as if we have again a normal morning. I'm trying to say something, but I can't. I start to feel weak and I know that die. I'm dying instead and I am so happy that the last thing I see is his face." Tokyo, Japan.
14. "My sister was murdered, but even before that I had often dreamed that I shoot. It's always the same dream. I'm in the back seat of a parked car in Los Angeles. I talk and drink when some guy comes over and asks my name. As soon as I say: "Omar", he pulls a gun and boom-boom-boom! I feel the bullets in his body." Tijuana, Mexico.
15. "I never knew my mother, she left right after I was born. I've never even seen her in the photos. I have a recurring dream that I was lying in bed drunk, the door ajar, someone knocks and leaves. I jump up and run after her down the stairs. I call her, but she wouldn't turn around. I want to see her face, so I reach up, grab her by the hair and turning the head. She has no face. Instead, one black". Mumbai, India.
16. "I was standing in line with my mother. We waited, when we will be tortured with some kind of machine that runs on tears. She squeezed out of the man, all tears. And across the room were red chute, through which flowed a river of tears. My mom went ahead of me. When she came out she was still alive, but all her bones were broken". Brooklyn, new York, USA.
17. "I rode the train, and we were approaching the station. The station was called "Happiness". But instead of stopping, the train started to unfold. In the end we arrived at the cemetery." Tokyo, Japan.