Our ocean of plasticVika
Around the world, there is a growing public awareness of the harm caused by plastic, which damages marine life.
1. At the bottom of the sea, on the island of Andros, Greece, in July 2019, lies a plastic bag. Around the world, there is a growing public awareness of the harm caused by plastic, which damages marine life.
2. Microplastic found in ice core samples from the US-led Northwest Passage project is shown on screen during an 18-day icebreaker expedition in July and August 2019.
3. A cat among garbage on the coastline in Jakarta, Indonesia, June 2019.
4. A woman at a fishermen's port on the outskirts of Dakar, Senegal, July 2019.
5. Plastic bottles in polluted water on the seaside promenade of Beirut, Lebanon, June 2019.
6. Plastic waste at Zikim Beach, on the Mediterranean coast near the southern city of Ashkelon, Israel, February 2019.
7. A plastic beach volleyball ball in the Strait of Gibraltar, near Barbate, southern Spain, July 2018.
8. A pile of plastic waste and trash on a beach in Panama City.
9. Garbage, mostly plastic, can be seen along the coastline in Jakarta, Indonesia, in June 2019.
10. Debris of plastic and styrofoam litters the coastline at Cilincing in Jakarta, Indonesia.
11. A local resident walks along a stretch of Matahari Terbit Beach, covered in plastic and other debris washed ashore by seasonal winds, near Sanur, Bali, Indonesia, in April 2018.
12. A plastic bottle floats in the Mediterranean Sea at Zikim Beach, near the southern city of Ashkelon, Israel.
13. A boy swims to collect recyclable plastic bottles drifting along the coast of the Manila Bay in a slum area at Baseco in Metro Manila, Philippines, October 2017.