Opium has been destroying an Indian village for 70 years
Categories: SocietyBy Pictolic https://pictolic.com/en/article/opium-has-been-destroying-an-indian-village-for-70-years
Australian photographer Rafael Korman learned about the Cognac Indian people through someone else's stories about the creepy village of Longwa, formerly known as the killer village. This village is located on the border between India and Burma - in the area of an endless civil war.
Korman decided to go there for three days to confirm or deny the rumors. What he found on the spot turned out to be a much more complex and sad phenomenon than he expected. The town lives in a state of epidemic of opium addiction, which for 70 years has destroyed most of the social and political structures.
The photographer spent three weeks cognac among the representatives of the nationality and talked with the residents, the “priest” and the leader about how drug addiction arose and how it affects the life of the village.
(Total 12 photos)
1. Chief Longva.
2. The village is still famous for its scalp hunting history.
3. In the area there is a constant struggle between the insurgent militants and the government of India.
4. Only men smoke opium.
5. Women and children do not use drugs and do the bulk of the work.
6. Opium was brought by British colonists in the 40s.
7. Longva is an isolated village, the first road was made here only a few years ago.
8. Men start smoking in the morning and smoke all day until night.
9. Many young people leave the village before they reach adolescence.
Keywords: Village | Residents | Drug addiction | Devastation
Over the past few years, Professor Paul Bourke has been exploring the surface of the Earth using the Google Earth service, and in ...
Tom Bragado Blanco, a 33-year-old graffiti artist, lives in Marseille. His talent for creating 3D images on street surfaces is ...
Ivan Troyanovsky is a talented photographer from St. Petersburg. Each picture of the photographer is a small masterpiece, ...
“This is not a story about a province in America, but about America in a province. All photos presented in this series were taken ...
Today we offer you to go in a little Dutch village of Giethoorn. Differently it is often called the Dutch Venice, as it is located ...
Water series by photographer Steve McCurry. Photos from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s can be considered timeless. I am sure that the ...