Mpingo is the most densely populated island in the worldPictolic
The island of Migingo is located on lake Victoria in Africa. Its area is about 1.8 thousand square meters, and it lives in shacks 131 people. These people organized the "Senate Republic", live fish and do not allow in their community of outsiders. The island is disputed territory between Kenya and Uganda.
The island of Migingo was settled in 1991. Then two Kenyan fisherman Dalmas Tembo and Dorje Kibebe dared to land on it. Before heading out on Migingo, they conducted a rite of exorcism — among Africans living around lake Victoria, there was a belief that the island is home to the evil spirit Calle. The old sorcerer was banished Kalele. Tembo later admitted that during this ceremony they had to give 300 kg of fish.
After that, the two brave fishermen joined about 60 Africans from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. The motive for the settlement of Mingo was not only the possibility of a good catch, but also create their own "state" of the commune, where there were no inequality and evil. By 2009, the population of Mingo has reached 131 people, and then "honorary senators", the first settlers of Tembo and Kibebe, decided no one else in the commune not to accept.
The main catch is the Nile perch. Within a week a family can earn up to $ 200-250 is the average earnings of Africans in neighbouring countries for 2-3 months.
To preserve the independence of the "state" of Mpingo allows the fact that the island is disputed between Kenya and Uganda — that any other country can't include it in its territory, and therefore they turn a blind eye to these fishermen.
Over the last twenty years both countries have 9 times engaged in armed conflicts over Mgingo. Initially, the coast guard and Kenya, and Uganda have broken the boats tore their network and even shot and killed six people. But then both countries came to an agreement that the municipality must pay the tax and the others.
In the end the tax, which is Kenya, and Uganda, accounts for 25% of the earnings of fishermen. Another 10% of earnings goes to the maintenance of the machine and the self-defense forces of the commune. That is, the inhabitants of Mingo forced to pay for their freedom, 60 percent earned. But even the remaining 40% of earnings help them to live in better times than their neighbors in lake Victoria.
On this island there are five bars, a beauty salon, a pharmacy and several hotels and four public houses — the men are fishing, their wives and relatives moonlighting as a body. According to the rules of the municipality of Mingo, a man here cannot be more than a day.
Manage the commune for life two "honorary Senator" of Tembo and Kibebe — its founding fathers, as well as five elected senators (they may be only men older than 30 years). Solution seven senators by a simple majority.
The maximum penalty on the island is exile from him, a simple punishment — flogging a straw whips. In twenty years of existence of the "state" he was kicked out six people all over the theft.
Near Mingo, 200 metres away there is another island of Usingo. It is still uninhabited, despite the terrible overcrowding in the commune: it is believed that Using also lives an evil spirit, named Tuk. There are also supposedly moved and driven with Mgingo evil spirit Calle. The inhabitants of the commune in all that time failed to find the sorcerer, who was able to overcome two powerful evil spirits. Using is also disputed between Kenya and Uganda, but to live there the soldiers of the armies of both countries refused for the same reason — because of the spot on it evil spirits. Using there are only a few temporary structures, which sometimes stop biologists from the First world, the study of lake Victoria and its inhabitants.