Killer Coral: Mother of four nearly died of poisoning after cleaning aquariumBy Pictolic https://pictolic.com/en/article/killer-coral-mother-of-four-nearly-died-of-poisoning-after-cleaning-aquarium
There are toxins in a quiet pool. A 34-year-old British woman almost said goodbye to life after she cleaned her home aquarium. Doctors fought for her life for several days, and it was all the fault of a decorative coral that secretes a deadly toxin.
Find out how an exotic aquarium resident poisoned the whole family from our material.A mother of four children almost died after cleaning a home aquarium. A toxin got into the woman's body, which is in second place among the most dangerous and can lead to death.
After 34-year-old Katie Stevenson was poisoned by coral, she was placed in an isolation ward for 48 hours, and the house was sealed by a response team in hazardous areas.
Doctors saved a woman from poisoning with palitoxin, a chemical that releases coral in the event of an attack on it. It causes severe respiratory disorders, for which there is no antidote, and contact with this toxin can lead to death. Doctors managed to stabilize Katie's condition with the help of ivs and antibiotics.
The victim's husband, Mark, and their three daughters were also quarantined under guard. They had similar but less severe symptoms. An ambulance took a man and girls to hospital from a house in Newport, Telford.
Katie felt the first symptoms less than an hour after she was scrubbing coral from a decorative bridge in a 58-liter marine aquarium at home. Her temperature began to rise sharply, she began to shiver, the unfortunate woman was shaking, under the influence of the poison she began to delirium.
Such cases are so rare that at first neither the ambulance nor the doctors believed in poisoning, but decided that Katie had an ordinary acute respiratory infection. Meanwhile, the woman's condition was rapidly deteriorating, and she was afraid to fall asleep, feeling that she might not wake up.
The situation could have turned into a real tragedy: all family members were in mortal danger. The rapid response team that arrived at the scene surrounded the house and evacuated the family, and sealed the premises. Together with their spouses, their three daughters were sent to quarantine. The youngest 4-year-old son was visiting his cousin at the time, so, fortunately, he was not injured.
Before buying a new resident for your favorite aquarium, you need to learn in detail about its features. Inconspicuous, at first glance, plants and corals can be a deadly danger to everyone who lives in the house. It is better to have one less exotic inhabitant in the aquarium than to lose one of the family members.
The inhabitants of the aquarium are far from harmless creatures, and it is better not to joke with them. A company of young people from the Netherlands decided to do a trick with swallowing a live fish and caught a small catfish for this. As a result, the daredevil ended up in a hospital bed after the fish, defending itself, dug thorns into his throat.