In photos: California oil spill kills fish and damages wetlandsVika
A major oil spill off the coast of southern California killed fish, drowned birds in oil, and polluted wetlands. Local authorities called it an environmental disaster. Photo by REUTERS.
1. A surfer swims next to oil spills on the water.
2. Fish swim under oil spills in Talbert Sound after a major oil spill off the coast of California came ashore in Huntington Beach.
3. A warning sign is posted for people to stay out of the water.
4. Buoyant barriers trap oil.
5. Oil spills remained on the state beach, which was closed.
6. Oil spills seep into Talbert Strait.
7. Cleanup teams work to reduce damage.
8. Workers use heavy machinery to make a berm to keep oil out of the controlled pool.
9. Oil spills float on the water in Talbert Sound.
10. A cleanup team is working to clean up oil spills in the Talbert Sound.
11. A school of fish swims under a barrier that prevents oil from entering the ecological estuary.