An amazing butterfly with transparent, as if made of fine glass wings, known as Greta OTO or glass butterfly.
1. Greta OTO, or the glass butterfly (lat. Greta oto) is a species of the family nymphalidae (Nymphalidae) and subfamilies of milkweed butterflies (Danainae).
3. This species occurs from Mexico to Argentina, in humid forests.
5. On the territory of its habitat (South America – rain forest of the Amazon), is the most abundant species.
7. The wingspan of a Greta oto from 5.5 to 6 cm.
9. The tissue between the veins, on the wings of a butterfly, transparent, this is due to the lack of color scales.
11. The opaque borders of the wings are dark brown, sometimes with a red tin or red sheen, and the body is also dark in color.
13. Eggs the female lays Greta oto on plants of the genus cestrum, which then will eat the caterpillar and at the same time to dial in the tissue of toxic alkaloids.
15. In the future, the adult butterfly will taste nasty to predators, such as birds.
17. Adult butterflies drink the nectar of many plant varieties.
19. The caterpillar feeds on leaves of plants of the genus cestrum (Cestrum).
21. In English this butterfly is called the "glasswinged butterfly", which means "Butterfly with glass wings," and in Spanish its name sounds as "espejitos", which means "little mirrors".