Burger: the history of food took the world by stormPictolic
July 27 is the birthday of the hamburger. Its name the main American sandwich obliged immigrants from Hamburg. However, in order to become king of the American, and then world of fast food, German steak was supposed to be easy to eat on the go.
Now it's hard to believe, but just over a hundred years ago nobody even knew existed, so there can be a delicious dish consisting of fried chicken served between two buns. Its simplicity and taste innovative notion of cooks overnight gained immense popularity among representatives of all segments of the population.
Growing every day meals led to the fact that somehow everyone wanted to be a part of his invention. Authorship was claimed by many Americans, who claimed that they have made a fundamental contribution to the creation of this dish, and cooks from other countries. Ultimately trying to win a bit of glory over the fact that the Burger dish was one of the most intricate stories. We looked into the historical archives and tried to find out who really was the "father" of the Burger.
1. The word "hamburger" comes from the name of the second largest city of Germany — Hamburg. According to one version, from there, along with German immigrants, the recipe came to America. At that time, the hamburger was a piece of fried pork in bread.
2. According to another version, the hamburger was named after Hamburg in the state of new York. In 1885 the brothers Charles and Frank Menches held in the U.S. the Hamburg fair offered to eat fried cutlet of beef, nested in between two biscuits. They say that they ran out of pork sausage, which they used for sandwiches, and they decided to replace it with the existing beef.
3. In the same 1885 fair in Seymour Nagrin Charlie was selling meatballs, nested between two slices of bread. In his opinion, this dish could not be better suited for the event, as it can be eaten on the go. His culinary creation he called "Hamburger Charlie."
4. For the first time in new York restaurants, the term "hamburger" appeared in 1834. The first mention of "Hamburg steak", whose homeland is Germany, is found in the magazine "Boston Evening" from 1884.
5. The family of Oscar Weber Bilby from Tulsa says that the first hamburger made their ancestor. It happened in 1891. Great-grandfather Oscar was cooking burgers and stuffed them yeast rolls. In 1995, Governor Frank Keating called Tulsa, "the real birthplace of the hamburger".
6. Another cook might have played a role in the emergence of a hamburger, consider Otto Kuasa. In 1891 he made beef patties, which added a fried egg on top. Sailors who visited a café, subsequently removed the egg, leaving only the pulp.
7. Another inventor of the hamburger considered himself the cook Fletcher Davis of Athens, Texas, who in 1880 put fried hamburger with mustard and onions between two slices of bread. In 1904 fair in St. Louis Fletcher and his wife had a small shop where they sold their burgers.
8. In 1900, in his hometown of new haven your first hamburger made Louis Lessing. The client was asked to make some fast and hot dish. Vodivshihsya with minced Louis sformovat chicken and roasted it on the grill. He gave meat between two slices of toast. Because of this, and some culinary critics refuse to admit that it was Louis who made the first hamburger. However, in 2000, the Library of Congress called Lessing a man who made America's first hamburger.
9. Fame burgers received in 1904 fair in St. Louis, but in the gastronomic symbol Burger has become only after almost 30 years, when Walter Anderson from the city of Wichita, Kansas, founded the fast food chain White Castle Hamburger, main dish which was the hamburger.
10. The modern version of the Burger there are many varieties. Variation with a bun and a Patty of ground meat offer even Michelin-starred restaurants. With the creations of eateries and fast food their dish has what is the common name. Instead of rubber synthetic patties and buns cooks prefer foie Gras, black truffles and Kobe beef.
The price for such a Burger can reach $ 1,000. In the menu of the steak house can be found a more democratic version, which is based on the Patty of chopped beef premium varieties — quite a decent alternative to the usual rib eye and fillet minion.