Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

In 2010 Sam bollard (Sam Ballard) from Australia led a carefree life, played sports, played Rugby and didn't even know existed that will become disabled. And the reason for all the problems the guy has become a regular argument with friends. One evening, sitting in the courtyard, the guys made a bet whether Sam to eat a slug.

And he did it, and after eight years died, when he was already paralyzed. What happened that day, read our material.

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate Source: Independent

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

A major mistake in his life, the Australian Sam bollard made when he was 19 years old. One evening in 2010 he spent time with friends. The boys drank and had fun, nothing boded ill.

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Then the conversation quickly moved in another direction. Friends started to joke that none of them will be able to eat the disgusting creature. As a friend Sam said firmly: "I can do it!" and he did it.

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Soon after, the teenager began to feel unwell. Especially the boy was bothered by severe pain in the legs. Sam's mother Kathy Ballard (Katie Ballard) suspected he had multiple sclerosis, which had suffered by his father. The woman took the son to hospital but the diagnosis was not confirmed. However, what they told the doctors, was much worse...

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

It turned out that the slug was infected with the parasite Angiostrongylus cantonensis. Once in the body of a young man, he caused the development of angiostrongylus. In other words, brain damage.

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Sam Ballard, surrounded by his friends

Shortly after Sam was diagnosed, he slipped into a coma. In this state, the young man spent 420 days and woke up paralyzed.

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Sam was not able to eat and drink, demanded round the clock care. However, as stated by friends of the guy, he understood everything going on around.

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Sam's friend Jimmy Galvin (Galvin Jimmy) said that he personally saw this during one of his visits to the hospital.

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Former Australian Sprinter Matt Shirvington to Sam Ballard at a charity evening to raise funds for the treatment

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

All subsequent years, Sam spent in hospitals trying to combat the disease. Despite all the efforts, the only thing the guy managed to recover slight movement in the legs.

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

Cathy Ballard with son, Sam

The mother and friends of Sam almost never left his room, though, to see the young man in this state was a serious challenge for them.

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

On the morning of 2 November 2018 in the hospital, Hornsby, surrounded by 20 people closest to you, Sam Ballard died. His last words were addressed to the mother. The boy said, "I love you".

Ate a slug fell into a coma and died 8 years later: what led an innocent friendly debate

The parasite Angiostrongylus cantonensis, also called Rat lung worm lives in the lungs of rats and discharged together with the feces. If it will eat freshwater or terrestrial molluscs, and their later man, he can get a disease called angiostrongylosis. The disease leads to serious disturbances of the CNS, the worst outcome is paralysis or death.

Keywords: Australia | Disease | Rats | Parasites | Paralysis | Death | Worms

Recent articles

Color photographs of life in Poland in the early 1980s
Color photographs of life in Poland in the early 1980s

In the early 1980-ies, when the Gdansk and Warsaw were in the midst of socio-political upheaval on a European scale, French ...

This photographer risks his life for a good shot.
This photographer risks his life for a good shot.

Photographer Rizsavi Tamás has been photographing his hometown of Budapest for 6 years. Buildings, towers, monuments - everything ...

What makes us happy?
What makes us happy?

What makes us happy? What brings us pleasure? What makes us happy? Scientist Carsten Grimm from the University of Canterbury in New ...

Related articles

Hollywood actor cut off his arm and 17 years disguised as a war veteran for their roles in the movie
Hollywood actor cut off his arm and 17 years disguised as a ...

Todd Latourrette (Todd LaTourrette) is an American actor, who starred in the TV series "Better call Saul" and "longmire can," ...

Why old people "fall in childhood" and is there any chance to avoid it
Why old people "fall in childhood" and is there any chance to ...

Sometimes older people are returning to your childhood, but it does not bring joy to them or loved ones. They become forgetful, ...

Allergic to sports and smartphones: the most unusual reactions that you may face
Allergic to sports and smartphones: the most unusual ...

We all know that allergies can be cats, dogs, chocolate, citrus fruits and pollen. But things that can cause a dangerous reaction, ...