Afghanistan: Kabul - the day after the Taliban takeoverVika
The Taliban (banned in Russia) have established themselves following an unimpeded invasion of Kabul on Sunday. Photo
1. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani fled the country, reportedly to Uzbekistan.
2. Life in the city center seems normal.
3. Much less traffic, most shops are closed. But people look much calmer.
4. At the international airport, however, the scenes were disastrous.
5. There are currently 2,500 US troops at the airport, with another 500 arriving in the next few hours, said Pentagon spokesman John Kirby.
6. US troops are still "working to restore security" when the Pentagon announced the suspension of flights.
7. Footage posted on social media shows civilians in Afghanistan clinging to the side of a US military aircraft preparing to take off.
8. Amnesty International called on the international community to act “with determination to prevent further tragedy”.
9. “What we are seeing in Afghanistan is a tragedy that had to be foreseen and prevented,” said Agnes Callamard, Secretary-General of the organization.