8 photos showing the reality of COVID-19 in hospitalsVika
For many of us isolated in our homes, the battle on the front lines against Covid-19 remains a mystery. We do not know about the energy and sacrifice that the medical staff put into the fight against the pandemic, as well as all the suffering they cause to the sick.
However, Go Nakamura is here to give us a better understanding of the situation. The Houston-based photojournalist who moved to Texas just over a year ago has visited United Memorial Medical Center more than 20 times since May, documenting everything that happens in the COVID ward.
Hopefully, these photos will raise our collective sense of responsibility and remind us to do everything in our power to stay safe.
1.26 November. Dr. Joseph Varone consoles a coronavirus patient. I am grateful to have witnessed a wonderful moment and thank all the medical staff for their hard work even during the holiday season.
2. A healthcare professional rests in front of a ventilator at the Covid-19 intensive care unit in Houston.
3. Medical staff rest in the Covid-19 intensive care unit at United Memorial Medical Center in Houston.
4. Medical worker Jacques Bistre Varon turns a patient over in a prone position in the Covid-19 intensive care unit.
5. Medical personnel in full PPE push a stretcher with the body of a patient who died of coronavirus into a car near the Covid-19 intensive care unit in Houston.
6. Ventilators and electrocardiogram machines in a patient room in the Covid-19 intensive care unit in Houston.
7. Medical worker Gabriel Cerverera Rodriguez closes his eyes during a short break in the Covid-19 intensive care unit.
8. Medical staff treats a patient in the Covid-19 intensive care unit in Houston.