France is famous for many things — beautiful language, charming towns, beautiful beaches. However, French cuisine is known and loved around the world, and it is impossible to forget. Whether it's a simple croissant or a classic dish of the type Coq AU VIN, French food will always resonate with discerning palates.
1. French baguette is probably the most popular French food. This crispy delicious pastries and of itself, and with traditional French cheese type Gruyere or brie. If you're ever in Paris, be sure to try the baguette in the boulangerie Le Grenier à Pain: this year she won the competition for the best baguette.
2. Creme brulee — the most famous and beloved French dessert. As soon as you hear the crunch of the solid caramel crust and dip a spoon in custard, there's no turning back.
3. If you want to try the classic steak frites (steak with fries), you should definitely visit Paris restaurant Le Relais de l'entrecote, which specializiruetsya in this dish. The school is popular with tourists and Parisians, so queues are not uncommon.
4. Although the "all-in-Frit" (mussels and fries) is a Belgian dish, "Mul Mariner" (Moules Marinières) is a French dish from Normandy, whose name translates as "mussels in sailor". Imagine, in France, this delicious dish is considered fast food.
5. "Croque-Monsieur" — the French version of a hot cheese sandwich. Includes ham and melted Gruyere cheese, and Bechamel sauce.
6. The chicken in the dish "Coq-AU-VIN" (rooster in wine) is, by definition, can not be dry. It is believed that the Motherland of this dish is Burgundy, so a year-old cock (weighing about three pounds), braised in red wine with vegetables and garlic, is a classic recipe of "Coq-AU-VIN".
7. Escargot — snails — it seems strange dish to foreigners, but in France it is considered a delicacy. Snails are served hot in the shell with garlic and butter.
8. "Profiterole" — a dessert made of puff pastry filled with vanilla ice cream and covered with chocolate sauce.
9. Potatoes common side dish in France and in the French South-East region of Dauphine it is cooked with milk or cream, it is called "potato gratin in dovenski" ("Gratin dauphinois").
10. The word "soufflé" comes from the French verb "to breathe, blow", this dessert made from whipped egg whites. Soufflé "Grand Marnier" is prepared with the addition of orange cognac liqueur.
11. The best oysters in France are to be found in Brittany, from the town of Riec-sur-Belon they got their French name — belon.
12. Although "blood sausage" sounds not very appetizing, is one of the traditional elements of French cuisine. Sausage contains pork blood and served by itself or with a side dish type of potatoes.
13. Croissant is a French classic. This flaky buttery bun in the form of a Crescent can be found in any bakery in the country.
14. Riet — salty pork pate. You should eat with bread or crackers.
15. "Knei de Brochet" is something like ravioli. They were invented in Lyon and made from fish (usually pike), butter, breadcrumbs and sauce with lobster. Light, but filling dish.
16. In Paris bakeries and pastry shops are competing for the right to boast the best cakes pasta.
17. If you eat raw meat, I want to be sure that it is cooked properly. "Steak tartare" — chopped raw beef served with onions and capers.
18. Ratatouille is the only French stew without meat. This dish first appeared in nice, is made from a delicious Mediterranean vegetables type courgettes and eggplant.
19. Quiche is a savory pie that you can find everywhere in France. One of the traditional varieties — quiche Lorraine, or "quiche Lorraine". Prepared with bacon, eggs and sometimes cheese.
20. "Pan-o-socola" is translated as "chocolate bread." French bakers brilliantly mastered the combination of baking and chocolate.
21. Salad "Nicoise" comes from nice and is a combination of lettuce, tomatoes, boiled eggs, tuna, anchovies, olives and beans.
22. "Boeuf Bourguignon" — a dish of braised beef originating from Burgundy. Combines meat, vegetables, garlic and of course red wine.
23. "Tarte Tatin" is not a simple Apple pie and pie "inside out". Before baking the apples are fried in oil and sugar.
24. "Blanket de vo" — veal, butter and carrots, cooked in a creamy sauce. The meat in the cooking process does not darken.
25. Duck is common in French cuisine. Confit — duck leg cooked in its own juice, a native of southern Gascony.
26. Trays of crepes (French pancakes) are all over Paris, and you should stop and try them. Crepes can be both sweet and savory. Classic — "butter and sugar".
27. "Cassoulet" — a cross between a stew and a casserole, a true feast for the stomach. A dish originating from the South of France and is made of beans, duck and pig skin.
28. "Bouillabaisse" was invented in the southern port city of Marseille, it is best to try the restaurant Le Miramar. This fish stew with clams, vegetables and potatoes.
29. Foie Gras comes from the southwestern regions of France — Alsace and Perigord. Considered a delicacy made from duck or goose liver. On the subject of the admissibility of the special — not very humane — these fattening ducks and geese is a lot of controversy.
30. "Madeleine" is a French gourmet biscuit cookies in the shape of a scallop.
31. "Sokka" is such a pancake of chickpea flour and olive oil, a dish originating from nice. Usually, sprinkle with black pepper and eat with their hands.
32. "Tarte flambée" — crispy pizza from Alsace with sour cream, thinly sliced onions and slices of fat or bacon.