11 biggest food trends of the last decadeBy Vika https://pictolic.com/en/article/11-biggest-food-trends-of-the-last-decade
Like most markets, the food industry is subject to changing tides of consumer preferences, especially in the modern world.
There have been numerous trends and fads over the past decade, including avocado toast and gluten-free foods.
Here are 11 food trends that have dominated the past decade.
1. Avocado toast has become synonymous with the 2010s.
Avocado toast is what it looks like - just sliced avocado on toast. It often comes with eggs and spices.
2. Dairy alternatives such as oat milk, soy milk, and various nut milk have become popular.
Whether they are more conscientious consumers worried about the environmental impact of the dairy industry, or those who choose to stay away from dairy for health or ethical reasons, one thing is clear - alternatives to milk are here to stay.
3. Granola and fresh fruit topped acai have become a popular health trend.
The acai craze has spawned many Instagram posts.
4. Activated carbon has turned ice cream into a new trend.
Once in the 2010s, activated charcoal foods became popular. Everything from ice cream to cocktails was made with this ingredient, and in the summer of 2018, it was even the center of the 50 Shades of Charcoal festival.
5. Matcha, a special type of green tea, is known for its health benefits and vibrant green color.
Matcha has been around for centuries, but fancy food started taking over menus and Instagram feeds around 2016. The scent was soon incorporated into everything from candy to baked goods.
6. Coconut oil - as a culinary ingredient and as a remedy for all diseases - has become a popular alternative to other cooking oils.
Although coconut oil is high in saturated fat, it contains about the same number of calories per tablespoon as olive oil and is often found in moisturizers and hair care products.
7. Wild desserts.
Massive milkshakes, giant sundaes, and gourmet waffle creations all sparked a wave in the 2010s.
8. Latte art made a splash as coffee culture intensified.
Latte art or art created using espresso and frothed milk to create images on the froth, took over social media in the mid-2010s.
9. Although macarons were popular in the 2010s, they have been popular for hundreds of years.
French biscuits are made from whipped egg whites and sugar to make meringue, the main ingredient in macaroon.
10. Edible gold leaf has become a widespread decoration for gourmet dishes.
This trendy ingredient has become an excellent addition to a wide variety of products.
11. Fruit and vegetable juices have become a popular trend in the wellness scene.
Vegetable juices, including celery, cabbage, carrots, and beets, made eating raw vegetables easy. However, homemade juice has lost its relevance as many fast-food restaurants and grocery stores have started offering juices at home.